Bureau of Reclamation
The Risk Management Center (RMC) maintains a close working relationship with Bureau of Reclamation’s Dam Safety Office and Technical Service Center as part of the charter between the two organizations. Bureau of Reclamation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers work under their charter to:
- Develop professional and technical competencies;
- Develop joint methods, policies, and procedures;
- Develop comparable risk management strategies; and
- Work jointly with professional organizations, academic institutions, and private industry to incorporate risk management into the water resources industry.
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
The RMC maintains a working relationship with the Dam Safety division of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). Specifically, the RMC works closely with the FERC to help achieve its strategic objectives to incorporate risk-informed decision-making into its dam safety program by 2014 by:
- Supporting its activities to complete a portfolio evaluation of its inventory;
- Supporting its activities to finalize policies and technical guidelines; and
- Supporting its activities to fully incorporate risk-informed decision-making into its dam safety program.
RMC staff review documents, policies, methods and other products produced by FERC. RMC also works closely with FERC staff to develop joint methods, policies, and procedures related to dam safety.
Rijkswaterstaat (the Netherlands)
The RMC is developing a close working relationship with Rijkswaterstaat (RWS), primarily related to levee safety and levee risk. RWS has experience evaluating levee system risks and is currently developing a risk assessment system at a level similar to an Issue Evaluation. Sharing resources and knowledge will help both agencies greatly.
Association of State Dam Safety Officials:
The RMC and its staff attend Association of State Dam Safety Officials (ASDSO) functions and interact with ASDSO regularly.
U.S. Society of Dams
The RMC and its staff attend U.S. Society of Dams (USSD) functions, serve on USSD committees related to their specialty, and interact with USSD regularly.
Association of Engineering Geologists
The RMC and its staff regularly interact with the Association of Engineering Geologists (AEG).
The RMC will lead activities to incorporate academic institutions into methodology development, training, and research activities.
The RMC will work with its two Federal partners to develop a training, education and communications plan for private consultants who will be doing work to support the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Reclamation, and FERC dam and levee safety activities.